From:
Jones Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 May 1999 13:25:35 -0600
 I received a call today from the office of a very breastfeeding
friendly obstetrician asking me to advise a mom regarding weaning her 14
month old.  This toddler, according to the mother, is nursing almost
constantly day and night--approximately 8 times a day and 8 times during
the night.  I have permission from the mother to share her story.

Both her 3 year old and her 5 year old nursed almost exclusively well
into the second year until she weaned them, at which time they began
eating other foods.  Dad is "lactose intolerant" and can't drink milk.
The 14 month old has asthma and excema.  He sits in a high chair at
family meals and is offered whatever the family is eating.  He rarely
eats more than one or two bites of anything.

All three children sleep with their parents.  Although both parents like
having the children in bed with them, mom is exhausted with the frequent
night-time nursing.  Children all nap and same time in the afternoon and
mom naps with them.  Mom is concerned about moving 14 month old out of
her bed as his asthma is worse at night.

Mom seems willing to follow my suggestion and her obstetrician is in
agreement.  Mom's pediatrician is also breastfeeding friendly and is not
opposed to toddler nursing or nursing while pregnant.  Mom has not
consulted with him since the 12 month check-up and prefers not to talk
with him or to have me call him at the present time.

My recommendations were as follows:

Eliminate cow's milk and all dairy product from both mom and baby's
diet, using alternative sources of calcium and protein.  Check labels
for whey, etc.  [Toddler does drink small amounts of milk (and I think
mom said juice) from a cup.  His favorite drink is Diet Coke, but he has
this very infrequently.]

Offer more hypoallergenic foods to toddler, rice cakes, lamb, and
chicken for example.  I recommended that she obtain a copy of Detecting
Your Hidden Allergies by William G. Crook, MD.  Does anyone know if this
book is still in print?  I suggested the library, LLL (Mom made
reference to having attended meetings), and Amazon.com as possible
sources.  I also suggested mom ask her pediatrician for a referral to a
pediatric allergist.  In addition, I gave her the name of a local RD,
CLE who is in private practice.

For mom's nutrition, I suggested Eat Well, Lose Weight While
Breastfeeding by Eileen Behan, RD.  I told her that it wasn't so she
could lose weight, but to help her select nutrient rich foods to sustain
the nutritional needs of herself, her toddler, and her unborn baby.

Mom has internet access and is anxious to know if there are helpful web
sites.  Are there better books than those I have suggested?  What would
be the best foods to offer the toddler, to meet his nutritional needs,
be non-allergenic, and most likely to be accepted?

Please reply privately as well as to the list as I am still way behind
on reading posts.  TIA.

Bonnie Jones, RN, ICCE, IBCLC from the sunny S.W. USA
mailto:[log in to unmask]