From:
Elizabeth Howell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 2006 19:36:51 -0500
When I was 18 years old and going to a gynecologist for the first time, my mother who is a Phd in Biology and was a Childbirth Educator in the 1970's had some wise words for me.  She told me that there were two kinds of OB/GYNs in the world, the kind that love women and the kind that hate women, and it didn't matter if said doctor was a man or a woman.
It's unfortunate, but it seems that most modern obstetrical training seems to have a significant basis in a mistrust of women and their wildly unpredictable bodies.  Many young female OBs are coming out of med school electing non-labor cesareans for themselves and encouraging others to do the same, because their training has caused them to think that this is the "safest way".  It seems that this mistrust of women and their bodies also extends to breastfeeding.  It's all the same problem.  How can a process that is so hard to control, possibly work to nourish a baby.....In both birth and breastfeeding, exertion of control, by anyone, only hinders the processes.
Sincerely,
Liz Howell, LLLL Queens, NY, USA