Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 12:47:54 -0800
I would be interested in hearing about how supportive you think the Ross video on premature babies is.  I was disappointed in the subtle wording that I think plants doubts (especially in the pregnant mother of multiples) in the Guide for Breastfeeding Multiple Babies that Ross puts out and Paula Meier wrote.  Some examples:
Page 2: "Perhaps you have heard that breastfeeding multiple babies is difficult or impossible.  Although many people believe this, it is not true in most instances"  Page 3: "Deciding to Breastfeed Like most mothers, you would like for your babies to receive you milk because you are aware of the special health benefits of breastfeeding.  However, you may wonder whether you can produce enough milk- or whether it will be rich enough- to support the growth of two or more babies.  These common concerns about breastfeeding multiple are often shared by friends, family, and even some health care professionals.  The results of some recent studies may reassure you...."

Page 4 "You may be wondering how much time breastfeeding will take and whether bottle feedings would be more convenient with such a hectic caregiving schedule."

Although there is no perfect way to put these questions, it looks to me like doubts are being planted and this is not written with a "can-do!" attitude.  There is a lot of good practical info to give to moms of multiples in this booklet, it is a shame that it is not written in a more positive light.

Terriann Shell