From:
Patricia Blomme <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 14:20:12 -0600
Hello again.

I have really begun to change the way I approach potential clients and the
general pubic about breastfeeding. As there are so many fence sitters out
there that haven't made that breastfeeding decision I try to stir them
towards it with my words. Of course I have already hit upon the word
"try"and removing it from my vocabulary (I used it originally in an article
I wrote about how to birth naturally). What I know do when giving the stats
on breastfeeding is to reverse the language. I tell these undecided folks
that breastfeeding being the norm, it is artificial feeding that increases
the risks of all the problems associated with ABM and bottles. I have found
that when it comes to a slight decrease in incidence of problems is not as
strong as any increase in risk for the child. This goes for IQ and illness.
what parent wants to put there child at risk. This way they are not really
perceiving ABM feeding as a normal thing and breast feeding better, breast
as normal and ABM as worse.

Make sense. Any ways it has helped some of my ladies totally avoid the nasty
stuff when there are more natural (normal) alternatives.

(P.S. I went and spent the $5.00 on the Vanity Fair magazine for the picture
of Jerry Hall "WOW" I'm gonna frame it!)

Patricia in Calgary, Alberta, Canada