From:
Lee Galasso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2005 22:25:57 -0400

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 10:27:03 -0400, Regina Roig-Lane
[log in to unmask] wrote:

"While I'm on my post-hurricane rant about the importance of us tackling
this issue from the front end, I have a question:  Where is the AAP on this?
Isn't it time they issue some huge, loud and flashy press release urging
women in the storm-affected areas to breastfeed?  They're a sufficiently
important organization; they might actually be heard - dare I say (yes,
dare, Regina, dare!) -  be **listened** to by the media and FEMA and such.
Just a thought."

It would be wonderful if the AAP would take a leadership role regarding the
health benefits of BF in a crisis situation.  Your suggestion is so good.
Who can forward it to receptive contacts in the AAP?  I would like to see
the AAP contact the RNs and MDs who do not realize how much this could help
and ask them to wake up to this preventive measure for the disaster that is
yet to come:  the illnesses and diseases that will cause not only morbidity
but mortality.

THE BABIES NEED THE IMMUNITIES AND ANTIBODIES IN BREASTMILK; THE FORMULA
WILL NOT/ CANNOT PROVIDE THEM.

Lee Galasso, MS, IBCLC, RLC

NY State