Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 12:12:34 EST
Dawn says,

> My guess now is that thousands of folks mix formula with
> warm tap water.

well that oughta make us nervous if nothing else does.  Big item on the news
here in Chicago a couple of nights ago -- recommendation that pregnant women
NOT drink tap water because of the potential for birth defects coming from
the chlorine and other contaminants in the water.  Especially looking at the
problems with fertilizers and other things that seep into well water for
those using well water out in farming communities.

I'm very leary of using tap water for mixing formula -- did she bring it to
rolling boil for ONE minute as the AAP suggests, or did she forget and let
it
boil longer?  Is there lead in the pipes -- lead solder between them?
Copper?  Does that leach into the water?

So -- how about bottled water?  Are we sure that's safe?  No -- we aren't.

Perhaps the answer for formula feeding moms is to use only ready to feed --
and then when something happens to the baby, they can sue the company.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC -- Wheaton IL
Lactation Education Consultants
www.lactationeducationconsultants.com