From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 1996 14:37:37 -0500
I will quote from Dr. Hale's book , Medications and Mothers' Milk.  On the
same subject, all ofyou who need drug information re: bf mothers and babies,
could  consider purchasing this text. It is inexpensive, and readily
available,...and because he takes the time to answer these questions
***repeatedly*** on Lactnet, I am taking this opportunity  to thank him and
to give information regarding  this resource.  There may be a time when he
is not willing or able to be available here, and it is a worthwhile text to
own. And, no, I am not an receiving a "take" per book sold. : )

Medications and Mothers' Milk, by Tom Hale, Ph.D, Assoc Professor of
Pediatrics, Director of Clinical Labs, Department of Pediatrics, Texas Tech
Univ School of Medicine, Amarillo Texas.

As he states, "The book contains more than 1000 drug names and over 500
individual generic drug names. It is alphabitized by both tradename, and
generic name. Therefore if the user looks under ADiazepam, or Valim, they
will find the same information. " Each entry contains References, Category
of Drug, Description of literature re: drug levels in milk, dosing
schedules, problems in infant...Observations, AAP rating, Kinetic
parameters, and Tables including Family tables...providing a comparison of
all drugs in the same family, so that "a consultant can compare all of the
members, and find a better drug for the mom to use."

Vaccines, Radiocontrast agents, Insect stings, botulism, and syndromes such
as Hepatitis A, B, C, Herpes, Chickenpox, etc. are included. It is published
and updated annually.

the publisher is Pharmasoft Medical Publishing, 4606 Oregon, Amarillo Texas
79109
1 800 358 8138 or  800 378-1317.

Now for Klonopin- "Clonazepam, ...Benzodiazepine sedative. Clonazepam is
secreted into human milk. In one case report, milk levels varied between 11
and 13 micrograms/L (the maternal dose was omitted). Milk: maternal serum
ratio was approximately 0.33. In this report, the infant's serum level of
clonazepam dropped from 4.4 ng/mL at birth to 1.0 ng/mL at 14 days while
continuing to breastfeed. Observe infant for drowsiness and apnea. AHL=18-60
hours, M/P = 0.33, PB= 50-86%,  PK= 1-4 hours.

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC, LLLeader
Co-Owner Lactnet, LLLOL, Corgi-L
LACTNET WWW site: http://www.mcs.com/~auerbach/lactation.html
"We read to know we are not alone." Shadowlands,  C.S. Lewis