From:
Susan Lawrence <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Aug 2011 22:57:32 -0700
In addition to Liz's comments on the proposed IBCLE code of conduct, I
wanted to point out that just as we would be "encouraged" to comply with the
WHO Code, we'd also contradictorily be "encouraged" to comply with the
Council of Medical Speciality Societies Code for Interactions with
Companies", which includes seems to be largely  "it's OK to take money from
for-profit companies which have a business stake in the issue" (my
paraphrasing),

 or as the CMSS code itself says  "... interactions with Companies may
include receiving charitable contributions, applying for grants in support
of programmatic activities, and conducting a range of business transactions. "

So Nestle could sponsor the ILCA conference & you could have Abbott place
ads on your private practice LC website, as long as there's 'integrity and
transparency".

 That CMSS code alarms me maybe even more than the weak endorsement of the
WHO Code.

And while I trust the WHO Code, and believe adhering to that is essential to
our mission and that it should be mandatory to comply with that,  why would
they want to have other site's codes included in ours, when the others can
change them at will? Why can't we/they/IBLCE write it themselves if they
think taking money from for-profits is ethical?

Does the IBLCE accept money from for-profit companies? I'm sure they must be
getting pressure from Medela, etc to even consider adding the CMSS Code to
our Code of Conduct, but could they also get direct support??

 Uggh.

http://www.nofreelunch.org

Also, while I don't disagree with what I read in the United Nations
Convention on the Rights of the Child, it didn't seem necessary or very
specifically applicable to IBLCE...

Susan Lawrence, RN, IBCLC, LLLL