From:
Anna Hayward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 12:59:08 +0100
Lactnetters,
>Timing and clearness makes me wonder if this might have anything to do
>with the "spinbarkheit" type of cervical mucous associated with
>"middleschmerz" (mid-cycle pain sometimes experienced on release of
>ovum). Did this explanation occur to anyone else?

From personal experience (I am in almost exactly the same position as
this mother, with a nursing 14mo and having had two periods so far), I'd
agree with you. When your periods return after a long absence, they can
be all over the place. I ovulate at totally irregular times at the
moment and my predicting my periods is a bit like sticking a pin in a
calendar. One period lasted 9 days of bleeding, the other lasted 48
hours. I believe ovulation is signalled by "egg white" type mucous only.

My theory is that it is connected to my son's nursing - if it's hot an
he's thirsty, he nurses more. If he's teething, he nurses less. I tend
to skip periods in the months he nurses a lot.

It also occured to me she might have vaginal thrush.

Just a "BTDT", not medical opinion.
--
Anna H. Breastfeeding Advocate and would-be writer
http://www.ratbag.demon.co.uk/anna/