Date:
Sun, 3 Sep 1995 17:36:16 -0400
       Finally, I've subscribed! I waited patiently for years for this
computer system, as my FL friends know. I"ve been in private practice for 6+
years. Currently I'm active with our  area task force, Breastfeeding
 Education Network, and ILCA affiliate. My kids monopolize our system (we
need another computer already) and my time, so this is the first free minute
I've had to write.
       Thanks to Denise M for her expertise in computerology! Also Hi to
Debby B in IL who sat for CB ED exams with me (saw your ? in archives).
        I couldn"t resist the topic of schedules/night waking. What each of
us choose in our families is not the only way to parent or right for every
family. My mother is an OB nurse who NEVER breastfed, let us cry it out, and
all the other typical parenting things of her generation. She is now
considered very knowledgable about BF and gives very different advice to
mothers than what she chose for her family. As counselors we are just one of
many influences on parents in our practice. We may be the only person giving
biologically correct, currently medically recommended, or lactation
maintaining information. Our advice probably will be outweighed by
childhood/cultural exposure, family opinion, articles from parenting
magazines, etc. I also have clients who are single mothers, working 10 hours
a day, and have few of their own needs met- let alone the option of daytime
napping. I can understand why they try any suggestion which sounds like it
will help them cope.
      I find that many of us tried other parenting techniques such as crying
it out in our adventures as new mothers but why did we choose to go against
that advice and back to what our hearts felt was right?  I think supporting
new mothers is a challenge because often we expect them to take our years of
education and experience and start where we are now. I think if mothers feel
open to try new things it will give them the chance to feel more confident
about what is right for them, and maybe try some positive things like
breastfeeding.  Think of the way health professionals would have discussed
some of the practices we view as positive thirty years ago!

Debby Kearney, IBCLC