From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 19:31:26 +0200
"Intervening to Promote Early Initiation of Breastfeeding in the LDR"

Many years ago, back when the journal 'BIRTH' was still in smaller format,
there was an article published there about what one hospital had done to
improve breastfeeding rates at discharge.  They pointed out in the article
that it was not so much what they did, as what they stopped doing.  They
stopped telling mothers to limit time at the breast or frequency of
breastfeeding, they stopped taking babies away from mothers, they stopped
giving pre-lacteal feeds and routine supplemental feeds, and probably other
things I don't remember off the top of my head.  Anyway, when they simply
stopped doing all the things that interfere with the baby's normal quest for
food, breastfeedng started happening.   And this was without regard to how
birth happened.  For all I know the same authors decided to try the same
approach for intrapartum care, but I don't recall having read about it if
they did.

To me, the title of this article says a lot about the reality in which the
authors live and work.  I haven't read it, but I hope the intervention they
refer to, is to stop staff and procedures from getting in the baby's way.

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway