From:
Rod & Joy Kahler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2008 15:37:38 -0800
Cindy:

  Well, if he tells ALL bf mothers this, I think he's doing quite a disservice to both mothers & babies.  So, what does he suggest, formula I suppose?  This mystifies me...since when did formula become superior to human milk or even BANKED milk? (DUH!) I've read some things that suggest that most NICUs are around 20 YEARS behind in current research when it comes to breastfeeding preemies!! scary scary

  Take a look @ this link and also refer him to Paula Meier's info @ Rush Medical Center.  This link is from Standford University..........  :)  Listen CLOSELY to what this MD is saying about the amounts of colostrum (of course it isn't for preemies, but I hope it helps you in some way)....she also references (in a different portion of the site)...that as of 2006 the AAP & American College of OB/GYN have implemented a new curriculum on helping bf mothers...hope it proves helpful  :)

  http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/HandExpression.html

  Of course we all now stimulation after a feeding increases supply :) so, hopefully he can stop saying such scary things to mothers.

  Just my thoughts...hope it helps!
  Joy
LLL Wyoming, USA
Cindy Simone <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Our hospital's neonatologist tells breastfeeding mothers that their babies
are more at risk for jaundice because the babies are not getting a lot of
milk during the first few days. Any help with convincing references to the
contrary?
Thank you.
Cindy, BA, IBCLC