Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 2005 11:02:08 EST

Susan says,

<<So, please don't go  promoting rampant alcohol consumption - limited
careful use is what I read
from the literature as being OK.>>

Susan, I didn't see anyone  promoting rampant alcohol consumption -- I doubt
there is a person on this list  that would do that.  However, we do need to be
careful to give the  APPROPRIATE information, not just blanket "you can't do
that because you are  breastfeeding because of the effects on the baby".
Remember that the  Menella study showed 23% less intake of milk in ONE feeding
after the mother had  consumed alcohol.  In the scheme of things, that isn't all
that much for  one feed.  And the baby will simply nurse again in a shorter
period of  time.

Also, regardless of what the  Institutes of Medicine recommends, pumping and
dumping is not going to hasten  the excretion of the alcohol in the milk.  She
only needs to pump and dump  if she is going to be waiting long enough
between feeds that she will be  uncomfortably engorged.  Some mothers have the idea
that if they have 3 or  4 drinks and then pump and dump, they can then go back
to breastfeeding  immediately.  So instructions need to be clear that it is
recommended that  the mom wait at least 2 hours after consumption of every
ounce of absolute  alcohol which is defined as a 12 ounce can of beer, 5 ounces of
wine (since I  just saw a "wine glass" advertised in a catalog that holds 750
ml of wine, I  think we need to be careful in defining "glass.") or one
regular mixed  drink.  (In Wheaton everyone is craving a Margarita -- go figure).

So for the lady that called me  years ago and wondered how long she should
"pump & dump" since she had 11  drinks the night before, I thought (a) -- how on
earth did she count up to 11,  and (b) 24 hours sounded about right to me.

In point of fact, after a lot of  alcohol, the baby is somewhat protected
since the MER doesn't work  effectively.

In most other cultures, wine or  ale with dinner is an accepted cultural
drink.  Why are we saying an  occasional beer or glass of wine, implying that she
can only have 1 every two or  three weeks is the only thing she can do?   If
she normally has a glass of  wine with dinner, as long as she follows the
guidelines, does it really make any  difference?

I don't consider a glass of wine  w/ dinner "rampant alcohol consumption"
though I suppose there are some that  might look at it that way.

Bring on the flames.  I'll  attempt to douse them with my Diet Coke.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") Jan Barger, RN, MA,  IBCLC

_Lactation Education  Consultants_