Date:
Sat, 2 Nov 1996 09:23:48 -0500
The following is part of an article on the net about why women choose not
to breastfeed, I found it interesting, Its too long to post the whole
thing here, but heres the beginning of it and the rest can be found at:
http://www.ajn.org/mcn/5.11/m511315e.1t
When Women Decide Not to Breastfeed

Nurses are asked to examine their values and biases when working with
mothers who bottle-feed.

By Eileen Gigliotti

Promotion of breastfeeding and reduction of the breastfeeding attrition
rate has been a major nursing goal. The physiological
benefits conferred by breast milk, coupled with the psychological benefits
of closeness and enhanced attachment, make
breastfeeding a healthy choice. Despite nursing's efforts, however, nearly
half of American women choose not to breastfeed at
all, and many breastfeed only partially (1). A recent study found that 21
percent of a sample of 120 breastfeeding mothers had
introduced formula at one week (2). By the third week, 43 percent of this
same sample had introduced formula for some
feedings.
     While nurses must continue to promote the benefits of breastfeeding,
we must question what effects our efforts have on the
self-esteem of those women who choose not to breastfeed or opt to
bottle-feed after a short time. The popular press has
already taken up this issue.
     A newspaper article entitled "Nursing Becomes a Feminist
Battleground" reported that women perceive they are caught in a
social atmosphere in which the decison to bottle-feed casts doubt on their
maternal abilities (3). To choose not to breastfeed is
politically incorrect. The article cites a mother, an attorney, who told
her nurse, and the nurse's supervisor, that she definitely
wanted to bottle-feed. The woman quotes the nurses as saying, "We're not
telling you it's wrong. We just want to tell you your
options."
     These sentiments are repeated frequently by breastfeeding advocates.
Whatever their reason for choosing not to breastfeed,
mothers are often asked to defend their choice. For many, doing so is an
irritation. For others, it stirs up painful memories of a
time when they had little confidence in their ability to mother. In
answering the query "Did you breastfeed?" these women find
themselves reacting to the implication that they somehow deprived their
otherwise healthy children of a once-in-a-lifetime
experience. Because nurses are often the first to pose this question, our
words and tone set the stage for future encounters.
     This article has a threefold purpose:
     1) To suggest that by examining our personal values concerning
breastfeeding, we are better able as nurses to address the
needs of women.
     2) To propose that we can meet individual needs through attention to
mutual goal setting and respect for the client's
judgment.
     3) To give voice to the decision to bottle-feed. The author has
spoken with numerous women who have recounted their
experiences. Some of their stories are used to illustrate the highly
emotional aspects of this first major decision in the parenting
experience.

*          e mail: [log in to unmask]            ~
~  home page: http://www.summit.net/home/Cindy *
11/2/96       9:18:56 AM