From:
amy mohrbacher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 1996 23:42:39 -0400
here's some info on herbal that have a good reputation amongst people who I
know who use and make herbal preparations. The best one I have seen for
kids has a formula for figuring dosage that is reliable , but is not too
extensive with different herbs.
        Julian Scott- Natural Medicine for Children
        John Lust- The Herb Book
        John Mabey-The New Age Herbalist
        Penny C. Royal-Herbally Yours
        Susan Weed-Wise Woman Herbals
        Jean Parvarti Baker- Hygieaea(?spelling for a goddess?)
        also anything written by Corrine Martin, she's a local herbalist
with a
        great reputation

The key with children and herbs is getting them to swallow them and herbs
tinctured in glycerine taste better than the ones in grain alcohol, and
also be careful for one in combination because the dose changes. Having a
few books is good because for safety's sake ( doing it yourself without an
herbal practicioner  ) its best to cross off your lists anything with known
unpleasent side effects, and then keep looking.
        The only note that you won't see in herbal books that I still
haven't gotten definitive answer on is- If white willow bark made (
salicylic acid) aspirin then the risk for Reye's Syndrome exists when using
White Willow bark with children. Any ideas with that one.
        Amy LLL Leader and nursing student who should be studying my
assignmenets but Lactnet is better.