From:
"Phipps, Brenda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 10:41:19 -0700
First of all, thank you to everyone who responded to my "failure to thrive
in the older breastfed baby" question.  I received much food for thought.

As I am sitting at my desk trying to gather information on breastfeeding and
contraceptive use for a pamphlet I'm trying to produce, I came across the
LLL pamphlet on Breastfeeding and Fertility. It states that "the oral
contraceptive pill is NOT considered the method of choice for mothers who
are breastfeeding". It goes on to point out that there is concern for
long-term hormonal effects on the baby.

This is something I didn't realize!  I thought that current research shows
the mini-pill with progestin-only was safe.  The references listed in the
LLL pamphlet are all in the 1980's.  Is there current research that proves
preogestin-only treatments are safe?

I am writing up a pamphlet because our WIC counselros seem to see a lot of
moms getting Depo shots (well over 2 months into lactation) whose milk
supplies have radically dropped. I've worked with these moms, and it has
been virtually impossible for the to relactate.  AFter talking to an LC
friend of mine who is an NP IBCLC for a local ob/gyn, she tells me this
doesn't make sense, and that she hasn't seen it at all.  Of course, she
doesn't see the moms at 3 and 4 months postpartum like we do!

Any comments on the above are appreciated!!

Thanks,
Brenda Phipps, BS, IBCLC