Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Nov 2002 14:26:49 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
I think that the Dr. Phil thing has been about beaten to death, but I feel I must add my .02 worth.  First of all I didn't see the program.  I applaud Kate for her honesty, knowing that she would be the victim of disparaging remarks.  Lots of moms closet Bf their two year olds which is ridiculous.  I'm sure Kate made those moms feel more "normal" which they absolutely are in the first place.  I think some may be over-responding to Dr. Phil saying that it's okay to say no to a weaned child wanting to resume BF.  Dr. Phil may be doing all of us a favor.  We've probably all heard moms say, "I'm not going to start Bf because the baby may want to continue after I want to stop."   I doubt any of us would agree that it would be best for mom to only feed ABM then.  Of course we encourage her to give her baby as much of her milk as possible.   When people think that Bf requires a years-long commitment they are likely not to view it as an option at all.  We all know of moms whose original Bf plan was "no longer than 3 (6,12, whatever) months" who once they find out how special Bf is, are reluctant to give up it up until their babies are much, much older.  When LCs come across as believing that women who don't BF for years are bad mothers we hurt our own credibility.  We are working with a dyad here and the feelings of both mom and baby (or child) need to be respected.  Shame on Dr. Phil for not stating AAPs recommendations faithfully, but kudos to him for updating the website to reflect the proper statement.  As for John Rosemond, I've never seen any specific statement by him on BF any age child.  One of his basic premises is that for the first two years babies are basically small gods who demand much attention and deserve every bit of attention that they request.  During the 2nd - 3rd year they are developmentally capable of learning that others have needs and that their needs cannot always come first.  This is basic common sense as many children this age are acquiring siblings, who, by virtue of having greater needs, now rule the household.  Here in the Deep South Bible Belt I find that Rosemond's books are a happy medium for parents who are led to believe that there are only two parenting styles--Ezzo-type parental control and totally child controlled parenting.  
Amy Stallings RNC, BSN, IBCLC--realizing that every family has its' own unique dynamic

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2