From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 2009 14:15:39 -0400
Every study I have ever seen shows that the risks of formula are a dose response.  So,
every single risk on the AAP 2005 policy statement applies whether or not it is some or
all, because it is a dose-response:

The strong evidence is:
bacterial meningitis
bacteremia
diarrhea
respiratory tract infection
late onset sepsis in preterm infants
necrotising enterocolitis
urinary tract infection
postneonatal infant mortality

Suggestive:
SIDS
asthma
diabetes I and II
overweight and obesity
hypercholesterolemia
Hodgkin disease
lymphonma
leukemia

Perhaps:
delayed cognitive development

Since we haven't measured the levels of these at each possible dose in all types of
infants, it is impossible to predict for any one individual infant for any one possible
planned dose of formula.  And who knows what constitute a "bottle" anyway since babies
take variable amounts.

The more important question is what do the parents believe they will achieve with that
bottle and then discuss whether or not it is likely to meet their expectations.

If its sleep, I think there are enough studies to suggest that they will not get more sleep,
especially the one recently posted on Lactnet where they put wrist monitors on mothers
of three month olds and found the breastfeeders got 45 minutes more sleep a night than
the formula feeders.

Since the risk of SIDS is higher with formula, it would be safer to feed it during the day.

Best, Susan Burger

Best, Susan Burger