From:
Julie Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 00:53:25 -0400
You wrote:

Date:    Wed, 28 Aug 2002 23:15:03 -0400
From:    Beadie Cambardella <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Inductions on the news service

Naomi, it will be a while~ Women have changed seem less political or less
eager to make change or waves.
One thing that may factor is the size of the OB practices.  To survive in
this day of managed care, it seems that there has to be lots of
practitioners in one professional group to make if financially.  This is so
even if they are well staffed with CNMs.  If there are  45-50 women due in
the same month scheduling for the OB call would be a logistic nightmare for
the schedule maker. So as a team they decide who is a candidate for
induction( the mother is most likely given an option),who is  repeat c/sec ,
and then the high risk clients who need to be scheduled for true medical
indications for induction then you have a smaller pool who will deliver
spontaneously and the scheduling of staff is not such an onerous chore.
Not justifying just speculating .
Beadie Cambardella RN LCCE IBCLC

Yeah, that's a good point.  With my first baby, my doctor told me I would definitely be late (most primips are, he said) and I could just tell him what day I wanted the baby to be born and they'd induce me at 41 weeks, so I could be sure he'd be the one to deliver the baby. (!!!)  I declined his offer, and years later my rabbi told me that, in Judaism, there's a strong belief that the day of a baby's birth is divinely predetermined.  This translates into a great reluctance to mess with G-d's plan with the majority of religious women avoiding elective inductions.

BTW, this same doctor of mine never said a word about breastfeeding...No "Are you planning to breastfeed?", no "here's some Info about breastfeeding", no NOTHING.

Julie Rosen, who used a midwife with #2 :)
LLLL in NJ