From:
Arly Helm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jan 2003 22:38:17 -0800
There are several things about this website that bother me, including:

a)  Their bold header:  "Problem: Storing, Freezing and Feeding Breast
Milk Has Always Been Cumbersome and Frustrating"

Come, come.  Storing and feeding breastmilk has been convenient and
simple since the beginning of time.  Oh, they mean storing and feeding
*expressed* breastmilk?  Well, they should have said so.  Language that
is unclear tends to create the perception that breastfeeding itself is
problematic.

However, even had they made the proper distinction, the statement still
would have been a bit melodramatic.  Not quite true, perhaps.

b) The statement "Pump-mate Kit fits these leading breast pumps:  Avent,
Evenflo, Gerber, Lansinoh, The First Years, Medela" may be true, but
it's disingenuous.  Some of the products named work hard; others hardly
work.

In addition, at least one company has had legal and political
difficulties with regard to its corporate ethics.  It's a personal
choice to include it, but it wouldn't have been my choice.

c) The testimonials are a bit overblown:  "This system allows me to have
a normal life..."  I mean, really.  I remember my mother once buying a
kitchen cutting board that had advertising lingo printed on the wrapper
promising her a better life due to that one particular purchase.  (She
didn't find Nirvana, but it kept her counters from getting scratched,
which is all one can expect from a cutting board.)

d) "Complement," not "compliment."

Arly Helm, MS, IBCLC