From:
Sanna-Mari T <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jul 2005 17:24:02 +0300
"Kathryne Bredbeck" <[log in to unmask]>

# Mind you, I'm not talking about dental caries.  We're talking
massive tooth decay on a very very healthy whole foods diet and with
teeth brushing.  I believe the decay is caused by silent reflux. My
dentist believes that it is caused by "at will nursing." #

Like others have pointed out, breastmilk alone is not cariogenic.
The big But is that when you combine breastmilk with sugars (like
those from carbonhydrates), this combination is a lot worse than
those sugars alone.

Another important thing to notice is that for the caries to develop,
the baby needs first to catch strep. mutans bacteria from his
parents (or siblings, other relatives). Usually that happens when
parents/siblings share same spoon, cup, toy or candy, or 'clean'
pacifier in their mouth before giving it back to the baby.

If there's no strep. mutans population in the baby's mouth, there
won't be caries either.

When the situation is that a child already has cavities (ie. s/he
also has the strep. mutans - and they are there to stay, you can't
get rid off them once you've caught them), the best approach imho
would be to brush teeth twice daily with fluoride tooth paste, avoid
snacks, avoid snacks that stick onto the teeth (like raisins,
bisquits or soft candies), use 100% xylitol products (gum, candies
or drops; the whole family could use them) after each meal (it will
stop the strep. mutans from raising the acidity on the teeth which
will otherwise damage them), brush the child's teeth last thing
before going to bed so there won't be 'food' left for the strep.
mutans bacteria if the child wishes to breastfeed at night (human
milk alone is not cariogenic).

http://www.xylitol.org/

Sanna-Mari
bf support group leader / Imetyksen tuki ry
Finland, Scandinavia