From:
The Jones Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 20:33:03 -0600
Chicago Hope was entirely different than what I expected.  The beginning
angered me.  But aren’t beginnings supposed to get you involved?  It
certainly did so.  The details of the BFHI were misrepresented—mother
had to sign a contract that she would do everything possible to
breastfeed her baby.  What really made me mad was the comment by a
physician, "We can’t even give out formula!  That is real
encouragement!"  Did anyone wonder if newly diagnosed diabetics were
sent home "by the hospital" with 3 days worth of diabetic diet?!

Teaching point—It is not the hospital that gives away formula.  It is
the formula company.  They want you to use formula long enough for baby
to become accustomed to a bottle and your milk to dry up before you find
out how much it costs.  If you are breastfeeding, they want to be sure
you have their brand of formula on hand so that the first time you
become frustrated with the baby’s crying and wonder if it is because you
don’t have enough milk, you will give the baby a bottle.  The baby will
take it, even though it is unlikely that he needs it.  This blows your
confidence, decreases your milk supply, and starts baby on the road to
preferring the bottle.  Bingo! Another customer.  The cost of formula
they "gave" you was a drop in the bucket compared to what you will now
pay over the next year!

Next point—what a great theme (and I NEVER stayed late in literature
class)!   I totally agree with you Phyllis; the theme was, "Trust your
instincts.  Don’t rely just on the rules."  Isn’t that what we have been
saying all along?

Next point—an earlier post mentioned that the co-producer had
experienced a baby who failed to gain weight because of a low milk
supply (Supply your own teaching point here.)  This is TV.  TV demands
the dramatic—not just poor weight gain, but death.  (Teaching point—it’s
just TV.  This outcome extremely unlikely and totally avoidable—here’s
how to know baby is getting enough.)

Remember, the LC told her to call the doctor and she didn’t.  She was
following the perceived rules instead of listening to her instinct.  LCs
are not out to starve babies.  What is our first rule?  Feed the baby!

I think Katherine Catone made an excellent summary of the good and bad
points.  However, on the pumping issue, I think single pumping in this
very discreet way made pumping look like a really acceptable option in a
society that is so concerned about breast exposure during
breastfeeding.  I also like the fact that this doctor thought breast
milk (although, unfortunately not breastfeeding) was extremely important
and was willing to do what was inconvenient in order to give her child
the best milk.

I was also very impressed that the doctor who was defending
breastfeeding was also very understanding about the conflicts which
arise in new parents and helped the doctor, mother of the breastfeeding
baby, to understand that her love for her baby and her frustrations with
parenthood were normal.

Yes, I am sad that some moms will not see these things and not even
"try" breastfeeding.  This is a renewed challenge to educated HCPs.
(By, the way, I also heard a strong message that HCPs are human and not
perfect.  Did anyone else catch that?)  However, I think we can use this
to our advantage.

Bonnie Jones, RN, ICCE, IBCLC