Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 15:51:47 EDT
Sandy reports from the AAP guidelines of 8/97

<< In fact, under certain conditions, bed sharing may actually increase
 SIDS risk, especially if the baby sleeps on its stomach on a comforter
 or other soft surface.  The AAP also warns that, unlike cribs, adult
 beds are not designed to meet safety standards for infants and may carry
 a risk of accidental entrapment and suffocation." >>

This is an interesting statement (sorry, Sandy, for inadvertently leaving off
the "If" in copying your original comment).  It would seem to me that it
could be applied to just about anything, wouldn't you think?

"In fact, under certain conditions, feeding ABM may actually increase the
risk of death..."

"In fact, under certain conditions, putting your child in a playpen may
actually increase the risk of injury...."

"In fact, under certain conditions, putting your child in a crib may actually
increase the risk of SIDS..."

"In fact, having your child sleep in his own room, may actually increase the
risk of SIDS."

"In fact, formula feeding may actually increase the risk of SIDS."

"In fact, smoking...."

"In fact, under certain conditions, putting your child in a car seat may
actually increase the risk of serious injury..."  (I'm thinking of one of
Torrey's classmates at Taylor who was burned over 90% of his body when their
car was hit, went up into flames, and the car seat melted and stuck to his
body....unbelievable story....)

I guess I don't read this statement as a policy that says "don't do it."  I
read it as something that says, "Whereever you put your child to sleep, make
sure you follow some common sense.  Don't use comforters, soft mattresses,
waterbeds, pillows, overheat, or put the baby on his tummy."  While adult
beds are not made for babies, babies are not made to sleep alone.  How do we
reconcile this?  Peter Fleming's work showed that of all the sleeping places,
putting a baby in his crib in his own room was at the highest risk for SIDS.
One of my questions is, which I'm not sure has been fully answered:  Exactly
what did these babies die of that were co-sleeping?  Was it SIDS?  Was it
suffocation?  Was it deliberate infanticide?  Was it in an adult bed with all
the guidelines noted, or was it with a drunk adult on a couch?  (Notably the
highest risk for infant death while co-sleeping).  And, if there were 2500
infant deaths while co-sleeping, and if there were 5000 deaths in the same
period of time when the babies were sleeping alone in their cribs, do we then
say that since there are twice as many deaths from sleeping alone in cribs,
it is safer to sleep in an adult bed with mom?  Guess I'm really frustrated
by taking one factor and running with it into making statements.   Also guess
I should belly up to that issue of Pediatrics and read it for myself.

Jan Barger