From:
Maureen Minchin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 1996 03:02:13 +1000
Re Crohn's and diet.
Glad this mother has been looking at diet, but that is not what I meant: my
shorthand was too short. It is clear that many Crohn's sufferers are food
intolerant or allergic and need to eliminate what are "good" foods for
other people but damaging to their own gut. Often in an effort to eat well
a mother will increase her intake of her allergens during pregnancy and
lactation. If this mother is unaware of the Addenbrooke's work then she
should go and get it. Chopped liver is not what I'm talking about, but
eliminating the antigens that damage the gut and lead to blood loss. It's
only one idea, but it works for many people.

I'm also glad graphite isn't lead-containing: but what is it EXACTLY? And
what does it do if you eat it? I haven't a clue. Also what are the
excipients/other ingredients of this cream? Carbon sounds harmless enough,
but after all, isn't charcoal a form of carbon and the FDA says avoid
charring your steak because it's possibly carcinogenenic? Coal tar dyes are
carbon derivatives, aren't they? There are a zillion forms of carbon and
not all nice or harmless.. Where are our chemists? I haven't time to look
it up myself.

Sore nipples can be the result of reacting to antigen in the baby's saliva:
even in the fully breastfed infant, but more often so in the infant getting
other foods. Nipple dermatitis (generic term, like mastitis) due to antigen
in saliva has diagnosed many a food allergy here.

Trying to keep it short....

Maureen Minchin IBCLC