From:
Pat Bucknell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 1995 12:12:18 -0400
To Catherine in Alaska:
You had a mom with saline breast implants that is now going back
and forth to different professionals with stories that just don't
quite match.  Our Ohio ILCA affiliate had its meeting Saturday and
the educational component was given on post partum depression.
The speaker gave us some signs to be aware of that distinguish
it from "baby blues".  In addition she brought with her a mom who
had gone through this, once without treatment (thinking all the
things that were going on were normal with new moms), and the
second time with treatment.  The speaker said that post partum
depression occurs in 10-15% of new mothers or one in about every
1000 births(more than I expected).  Anyway--your mom might be one
of those 10-15%.  Some of the symptoms of this:  mom who has her
baby to the doctor every few weeks and baby is always ok,
obsessive thoughts, compulsive behavior (things she can't stop
doing), mom is exhausted but can't sleep even when baby is
sleeping, mom is in a depressed mood even though she has a new
baby that she wants, physical agitation by mom-pacing or other
constant movement, decreased concentration--we all could relate
to that, appetite disturbance.  There are others, but this gives
you an idea.  "Baby blues" are usually gone by 10 days postpartum
or so, but the depression can last for months.  If this is
depression, mom needs treatment.  She shouldn't have to endure
this for months.  An interesting thing the speaker told us was
that women who have been treated don't want to admit to anyone
that they had post partum depression.  It was like they should
have been able to take of themselves without intervention.  And
doctors telling them that it is all in their head doesn't help.
Hope this helps.
Pat Bucknell, IBCLC
Avon Lake, OH (near Cleveland along Lake Erie)