From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jul 2004 04:19:16 +0000
I have developed and used a phone call documentation sheet for many years. I
feel it is quite a successful one. I am not at work so will write it from
memory. The front of my sheet is the inpatient intake form and the back of
the sheet has room for 2 of the following phone logs. I then keep a stack of
additional phone call logs which are 1/2 of a sheet of paper. If a pt has
more than the 1-2 standard f/u calls I then staple additional 1/2 sheets to
their 'chart'. I file all my clients by infant's date of birth. I find that
is the easiest way to find them. So I have a file of many years, filed by
month. If a mom calls in, say at 2 mos pp, I ask her 'what is the d.o.b.?
and of course I have her name so I find her original form. I then can see if
there was tight frenulum or whatever on her original intake form. I then
write her name and infant's d.o.b. on the 1/2 sheet log and staple and file.
If a mom calls in, and was not an original inpatient at our facility, I file
under non-hospital pt. These are few for me, most f/u calls and call-ins are
our own pts. Here is the log I use, to the best of my memory, and
abbreviated a little bit:

Date_______________ f/u     call-in        office             hospital
(circle)
Reason for call_________________________
Age of baby_________________
Wt info______________________
Bf info: freq/duration/fdgs per 24 hrs
Supplements? (this includes formula, h20, solids, whatever)
Wet - number and description
dirty - number and description
jaundice?
Milk in? milk supply
Pumping?
Condition of breasts / nipples?
Recommendations - several lines are available here
Signature

My partner and I have a good intake form that is pretty quick and easy to
use on rounds, I could mail to anyone along with this log.

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
New Orleans Louisiana, s.e. USA