From:
"Susan E. Burger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 2004 07:51:28 -0400
Dear all:

I just thought I'd mention that its important to check up on pharmacies
that are renting pumps and/or selling equipment.  I have had a series of
incidents where I have had to educate the pharmacies.

1) Mom was sold a single pump kit for almost the same price as a double
pump kit and not told that there was a double pump kit.
2) Mom was sold a disposable starter SNS for $59, not the sterilizable full
SNS.  The whole shelf of the starter SNS's were marked at $59.  The staff
at the pharmacy had no clue that there was a difference.  Mom was
reimbursed (& she's feeding at the breast & finishing with Dee Kassing's
method of bottle feeding).
3) Dad picked up a pump and complained that it looked dirty.  The staff at
the pharmacy insisted it had been cleaned.  Mom had bleeding nipples with
deep fissures.  Fortunately mom waited for me before using the pump & I was
able to sterilize the pump which was crusted in dried breast milk. Parents
were given a full reimbursement & free use of the pump for 1 month.  The
owner claimed that he had never been told to sterilize the breast pumps.

The latter has me cringing with the thought of all those infections that
could be coming from rented breast pumps.

Best regards, Susan Burger, MHS, PhD, IBCLC