From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 16:09:23 -0500

<<   Part of her doctor's protocol in this phase
 is pumping 4X per day for 30 min.  >>

This is, IMHO, silly.  Why make a mom sit there for that long?  I would
rather see pump6-8 times a day for 10-15 min.  I feel that this would give
more stimulation that would help bring in a supply.
In my experience, the longer a mom pumps (in minutes) does not neccessarily
help the supply come in, and has, in fact, caused a drop in supply in som
moms I have worked with.  (They would pump fewer times per day, but longer
amounts of time regardless of what I suggested, and their supplies began to
drop).  I believe that it is the frequency of the pumping that does the job.
 Even if it is for only 5 min 10 times a day, I feel that that is better than
4 times for 30 min.
Am I off base here folks?  The other thing is that it is hard to sit there
for 30 minutes with the pump.  I guess I should ask a clarification:  Is the
mom double pumping for 30 min, or single pumping 15 min each side for a total
of 30 min?  If she is double pumping, I would have her increase the # of
pumpings, but decrease the amount of time by 1/2.  If she is single pumping,
then I would have her at least increase the # of pumpings, but keep the time
on the pump the same.  (Hope that isn't confusing...)

Jay
Still sick and tired, and tired of being sick and tired.  Thanks goodness
baby is waiting to arrive!  That would really be a pain!  Everyone else in
the house is sick now too.  Oh joy.....