From:
Jack Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Dec 1996 14:30:34 -0500
Well, I am not sure Jonathan has ever tried to wean a two year old who
does not want to wean.  This is not an easy procedure, and can be
extremely traumatic for the child, and the mother also, by the way. Why
not allow the child to nurse 5 more days?  What makes nursing on an
"empty breast" more traumatic than the mother refusing to give the
breast?  Besides, maybe the milk won't dry up, and if the child
continues to nurse, maybe it'll come back.

        Dr. Hale has already written in to Lactnet that the suppression of
lactation with clomiphene was not studied in the situation where the
mother has had a long established milk supply.  My own, albeit
anecdotal, experience is that the milk supply seems to be maintained, at
least partially.

        Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC