From:
"Berkeley, Libby" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2001 12:44:31 -0600
Hi All -
I am the LC who originally posted about the mother from India who "can't"
touch her breasts.  I have received so So many helpful posts and am, as
usual, very grateful for all of your knowledge and concern.  I have no
update because she did not attend the third class she was scheduled to
attend.  I know you are wondering, because I did, whether or not she missed
the class because of what transpired between her and me last time.  If she
misses again, I will try to reschedule her in a very non-threatening way.

To answer a few of your questions:
        1. She is quite assimilated.  Was raised in India, but has been here
(Florida I think) for a number of years. Her family lives here. Her manner
of dress and hair look quite modern and American.  Her English is
practically American.
        2. I do not know her religion nor anything about her cultural roots
(personally I did not feel that this is at the root of her fears).
        3. I don't know if it was an "arranged" marriage (in any sense of
the word), but I did meet her husband and I was quite uncomfortable with the
amount of hostility between them (he walked out of the room in mid-sentence,
obviously annoyed).  Later, in the second class, she made a nasty comment
about him (something to the effect of "making" her come to the classes).

        I absolsutely do not feel that this is something within my "scope of
practice".  Kathleen said it best when she said that there are times when
you realize you have come up against something that is beyond your
capabilities.  This is one for me.  There is NO WAY I would sit down with
both of them and try to "work out" these issues.  For me it would be like
attempting heart surgery.  I am flattered, however, that she shared
something so personal with me, and I will do my best to get her some help.

        I have made contact with a counselor who is both female and
breastfeeding friendly who is willing to see her if she wants to. There are
so few Indians here, however, I can only hope that she (the counselor) will
be sensitive to any issues that turn out to be rooted in her culture. (Most
of my patients are of Mexican origin, and I never have a problem finding
them culturally sensitive referrals.)

Thanks again for all of your creative thinking and help.  I will keep you
posted.
libby in el paso