From:
T & V Best <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 1996 14:16:56 +0800
I have a client who is breastfeeding her 4 month old, all seems o.k
except that mum has had plugged ducts in the upper and medial right
breast which will not resolve under all the "normal" methods.  She came
to me after trying everything she had been advised to try from Nursing
mothers and finally woke up one morning with a milk blister on her
nipple.  I advised her to prick it with a sterile needle, she did and
had great success, but the blister keeps recurring and the plugged ducts
are now not resolving with this and all the other usual treatment.  I am
concerned that she will get mastitis or at the worst an abcess so am not
to keen on repeatedly pricking the blister.  I have suggested the use of
Lecithin, as per Maureen Minchins book "breastfeeding Matters", but also
do this with reservation in view of possible toxic effects, I have also
suggested a change to polyunsaturated fats in her diet and am now trying
epsom salt bathing, as per a back issue of Alca news.  Anything else I
can suggest?  How many times can she prick the blister?!!! All
suggestions would be appreciated.
Val in Busselton, West Australia.  RM IBCLC