From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 07:11:22 -0400
Dear Marilyn, I worked as hosp LC from 1986 to 1991 (which is getting to be
ancient history :-)  w went in as LC, having never worked at this hosp.  I
wore street clothes and lab coat.  I kept a 2nd lab coat in locker and
washed them frequently.

I got a lot more acceptance from the nurses, when after about 6 mo I filled
in a shift here and there when they were short.  (They decided I was a
"real" nurse.  They also grew to  know I would be an extra pair of hands if
they were in a jam in the nursery or L & D.  The hours got clocked to LCing
tho, but the supervisor knew when I was doing what.  It made a difference
to have a pair of hands that could swing between L & D, nursery & PP.

I did find it very difficult to work a shift PP, everyone expected me to
see my patients and LC theirs!  I have heard from mamny LCs that it is
difficult to be a staff nurse and then switch to LC.  Everyone else has
trouble seeing you in your new role.  In the 5 years I worked we began to
just see the beginning of stricter staffing (FTE etc.), towards the end I
was LC  and hours were more strictly accounted for.

I guess the reality of a hospital is that everyone is short staffed today.
The problem is not to be dragged into other duties that really aren't the
LC's, the result is less hours for BF moms.  And if you pick up things here
and there, then they don't really know how short they are.  This is
becoming a big safety issue.

Sincerely, Pat in SNJ