From:
Racquel Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jul 2005 19:15:11 -0400
Funny how life can change opinions. With my first 2 children I was under
the control of a manipulative mother. My first son she was convinced he
was not getting enough milk and I should stop bfing at 6 weeks. My second
son she was convinced I had PPD and her doctor and person friend (just got
out of federal prison for other medical malpractices) wanted and did dope
me on a bunch of drugs so I had to stop bfing at 2 weeks. After breaking
the bondage that was her control I have successfully bfing 2 other
children allowing them to wean on their own. Caleb weaned at 2 1/2 year
and Egan is still going strong at 22 months of age. I even tandem nursed
Egan and Caleb for 6 months. My boys sleep in our bed (2 queens side by
side).

Anyway I remember being young (22) and a nanny for a cop and his wife. At
2 1/2 years of age she was still bfing her daughter. The father was really
bothered by it as was I. My problem first being young and dumb I didn't
think bfing past a year was normal. My biggest concern was the mother was
a stripped and nursed to keep her boobs big. She always nursed her
daughter after coming home drunk. It was horrid and just one of those
stories to give nursing long term a bad name.

I also remember with my first 2 boys that I wanted so badly wanted to
nurse I could not understand how women could nurse in public. I too used
to think it in poor taste to see someone whip out a boob at a restaurant
and start nursing. I look back at that now and no it was pure jealousy on
my part and nothing more.

Now I have a problem with a doctor who is demanding I wean or refuses to
treat my condition. I was informally diagnosed with MS as I had one lesion
on my brain per an MRI (need 2 to make a diagnosis of MS). We are still
waiting the result of a lumbar puncture to see if it is confirmed.
Meanwhile this doctor will not give me anything for pain unless I stop
bfing. He said to me what are you going to do wait until he starts
speaking in full sentences? Anyway so many drugs used to treat MS and he
refuses to do anything until he is convinced I have stopped bfing. Since
we live in rural NM I am pretty screwed in finding another doctor without
driving for hours which hurts my legs. Very frustrating and very sad that
doctors do not educate themselves to bfing and what meds can safely be
used. Instead they want to bring trauma to my son which is what happen
when I try to refuse him the breast. He just does not understand and acts
if I am rejecting him or something. I just cannot do it to him.

Anway sorry to ramble on in my first posting to this board. Education is
really needed to support families who opt to nurse until their child wants
to wean. Just like I would not beat a woman over the head for wanting to
bottle feed I do not want to be beat over the haed with their "opinion".

Racquel