From:
Reah Ysa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 17:49:11 -0500
Kellie
I don’t have anything scientific to offer, but have been there (my two are
18 mos apart and tandem nursing at 1˝ and 3 yrs.  Suggestions:  Treat it as
a night weaning by trying to incorporate some/any/all of the following.  1)
Offer something else (sippy cup of water?); 2)Offer someone else (can
husband sleep with her and you leave the room for a few nights?); 3)
Schedule a feeding right before the time she normally wakes (set an alarm,
nurse her for a specific period, then try one of the above suggestions-
something besides more nursing). 4)Look for outside causes for increased
nursing, schedule/life changes, developmental challenges, anything that may
have altered her life as she knows it. 5)Lastly, you may try to
increase “mommy” time for her during the day and give her unrestricted
access to you for nursing during the day. – Just so you know, none of these
worked for me personally, (but it has for others :)) mine just kind of
phased out after a month or so.

As for your mixed feelings – they are more normal that you might realize.
I sat in a round table discussion last summer with extended tandem nursers
and found that we all experienced everything from mild “willies” to more
extreme jumping out of the chair, gotta get away feelings.  These occurred
not only during pregnancy, but during the first year or so of tandem
nursing.  The hostility and uneasiness was generally directed at the older
nursling.  We at the table found it very reassuring to know that it was not
a personal mothering flaw, but something much deeper (or at the very least
that the feelings were experienced by other moms who were tandem nursing).

Good luck, and hang in there!
Reah Ysa
LLL,Mom to Nicholas & Lauren

When your daughter is born, you begin to raise your beautiful princess.  By
the time she is a year old, she has it figured out and has become the a
very demanding queen! – inspired by Lauren.