From:
Elisa Hirsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jul 1996 01:16:05 -0400
Are any of you familiar with a condition known as chronic subareolar breast
abscess??  My close friend in Florida called today as her 15 year old, non
lactating daughter, was diagnosed with this  condition.  Twelve days ago she
noticed soreness of the right breast, the next day reddness and swelling  of
a  developed extending from the nipple to the outside edge of the areola.
 She was put on Augmentin tid.  Four days later the doc inserted a needle
into the area for a biopsy.  Her mom said the fluid extracted looked like
white pus.  Now,  9 days later, the lump is smaller and her mother called me
in a panic as she was told this can be a chronic condition that may require
excising the diseased duct or ducts.  The literature she was given states
that this can cause a flattened nipple without erectile power. Her mom is
concerned as how  that may effect future breastfeeding.

This condition is totally new to me.  I do not know how to advise her, the
best I could come up with was, have you considered a second opinion??  Then ,
I reminded myself that amongst my lactnet friends, perhaps someone has come
across this before.

Also, if any of you know of a breastfeeding friendly surgeon in the Miami
area, should they seek another opinion, please let me know privately.
Thank you.
Elisa

Elisa Hirsch, RN, IBCLC
Westlake Village, CA