Date:
Sun, 29 Oct 2000 22:22:09 EST
My very dear Carol writes:

<< but i feel that this,  is further proof of how little we value
 our children in america, that a woman believes that having a baby would mean
 the end of her relationship with a man, and would do this. >>

Carol, I think I feel what you are feeling -- what a horrible story.  One can
only hope that the flexibility humans show so often will give this baby a
better chance in a family that will value her preciousness.

But I don't think it shows anything about America, per se.  Does your love
for your children show that America is perfect?  Sadly, no.  An anecdote is
just an anecdote, wonderful or awful.

Sarah Hrdy in her book Mother Nature talks about various human and
other-animal social situations in which mothers would abandon or otherwise
neglect their babies -- sadly, kind of a lot of situations.  Just one,
relatively lousy, part of the natural spectrum.

Elisheva
going in to give me sleeping beauties an extra kiss goodnight after that
story.