From:
"MARCIA L. FODGE" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Sep 1998 09:39:14 CDT
Dear Folks,
  Please excuse this note if it is incoherent in places. It is 0930
and I just finished my work from the night shift that should have
ended at 0700. It was truly the night from ----. I apologize now
for not checking the archives on this but I only have computer access
at work and I really want to go home and soak my feet. But first I
must ask for help. A mom called me at work last night with several
questions. I am one of 2 LC's who work postpartum and NBN at this
University Hospital, but neither of us are employed in that position.
We are both staff RN's. This mom has a 6wk old baby diagnosed with
thrush and is being treated with nystatin starting yesterday. Mom
is due to see her OB-Gyn doctor today for her 6 wk check. She has
cracked nipples and a blister on the tip of one. She was feeding the
baby as we were speaking and we were able to change the latch to a
more comfortable position and support her breast during the feeding.
Mom is now experiencing deep pain in one of her breasts and itching
on both of them. She asked if she could have yeast in her breast.
I told her that was a strong possibility in light of her symptoms and
she should be treated for thrush also. And to be sure and talk that
over with her Dr. today. She wanted information on thrush and the
treatments and I told her I would get her some information, and some
possible E-mail sites to read.
I personally know very little about thrush except what I have read
on lactnet since DEC.  But I do remember reading about someones
paper on the yeastie-beasties and the different tx's. I remember
Someone uses gentian violet to treat it, but I'm not sure what
we are treating, mom's nipples, babies mouth or what. I know
Dr. Hale reccomends Diflucan for the mom but what is the dosage
and duration dor this tx? TIA for any help with this mom and I
apologize again for not being able to search the archives at this
time. I also need to collect some good accessible information for
my own files.  We just don't see these kind of problems during
48hr. postpartum stays.  thanks again---- marci in sunny Iowa
where it looks and feels like fall.