Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2011 07:49:30 EDT
Karen said,
***********************

Actually, it has been  attributed to child psychologist Lee Salk,  PhD,
brother of Jonas Salk  of the polio vaccine. I once had the privilege  to
interview Dr. Lee  Salk for the newsletter DoubleTalk, which I published
for
more than a  decade many years ago.

Lee Salk was truly a gentle  man and he is  also quoted as saying, "There's
no
harm in a child crying:  the harm  is done only if his cries aren't
answered.
...If you ignore a  baby's  signal for help, you don't teach him
independence... What you teach  him  is that no other human being will take
care of his   needs.">>
******************************
Ahhh -- thanks, Karen --  that makes far more sense.   Couldn't figure out
what the Salk of  the polio vaccine would be doing worrying  about children
crying....  But Lee Salk -- big difference.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, FILCA -- who  actually was a "polio  pioneer" --

one of the 1,800,000 school  children who were randomized to  receive
either
the vaccine or the  placebo.  Three injections, and after the  third one,
as
a reward,  we received a dixie cup of ice cream to eat with a  little
wooden
spoon.  I was living in the house I'm living in today when  that  happened
-- though many houses, cities, and a lot of years have  separated  the two.

For what it is worth, my mother thinks I  received the  placebo.