From:
Marian Rigney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 20:02:51 +1000
Hi all
Sometimes all that information we give the mums sinks in and we have a win.
One of our mothers from the SCN I work in had done a great job expressing
for her premature baby for 5 weeks and was rooming in with baby for two
nights prior to going home.  During our discharge discussions she shared
with me that she planned to let her husband formula feed for the night feed
once they went home.  On the first night a little further information about
the benefits of breastfeeding and the risk of formula did the trick.  When I
came to work the next day she told me she planned to throw out the two tins
of formula she had at home so she wouldn't be tempted!!

On another positive note my 13 year old son came to me yesterday and
informed me they were about to study about breastfeeding in his home
economics class.  He apparently informed his teacher that I had a filing
cabinet full of information and volunteered to bring some of it in. His
offer was accepted, so his school bag is packed with a number of relevant
articles.  I hope the teacher reads it all and presents it well.  Needless
to say my son declined my offer to talk to his class-- said he would find
that just too embarrassing.  However its great that breastfeeding is finally
finding its way into the school cirruculum.

Marian Rigney RN and IBCLC candidate who is wondering if there are any other
candidates sitting in Brisbane, Australia next Monday?