From:
Lynn Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:28:17 EST
In a message dated 12.14.04 12:06:15 AM, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> To update you all on the premie that we have been following in our NICU.
> The neonatologist was very receptive to information we provided on the
> unlikelihood of the infant being unable to tolerate "mothers own milk". I
> provided him with information on human lactose, on the high concentration
> of bovine protein in HMF, and contacted the RD at Parkland Hospital in
> Dallas who works in their NICU ( his request). I also shared with him the
> consensus of the "other professionals" on lactnet. ( in other words I
> drowned him in info. ;) He agreed to allow feeds of expressed hindmilk
> without the HMF. After 48 hours the baby was tolerating feeds very well and
> gaining wt. without abd. distention. He has now allowed trials with "whole
> EBM" with an agreement to allow feeds "at breast" if the baby tolerates the
> EBM well. This will be one of those "make it or break it babies" who will
> pave the way for the other premies if all goes well.... Thank you all for
> your input on this case, your combine support for exclusive breastfeeds won
> the day!

Thanks Paula for getting back to us on this. It is somewhat frustrating when
posters ask for help, suggestions are given and then there is no followup.
 It sounds as if you did a GREAT job with this neo-congrats!
Is he willing to D/C fortification at this point entirely or is he planning
on reintroducing once the baby appears to tolerate breastfeeding- as a supp
lement or whatever?
 In other words, in general, what does he use as parameter to D/C
HMF?-weight?

Lynn Shea Rn,Bsn,Ibclc
formerly Franklin, Ma.......now Lakewood Ranch,Fl