From:
doug rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Apr 1996 22:31:45 -0400
Hi Judy Eastburn

>I got a call from a mom last week  with a 7 month old.  She said her supply
>had dimished and then told me she had begun birth control pills 3 months ago.
>She called back and said her doctor told her it was a low dose combination
>and that all the obs in his area freely prescribe it for their bf mothers
>with no problems.

They are doing this in Canada also and I feel its not the best thing to do.
Mother nature probably intended that there was to be minimal hormones in
our system while we are nursing babies. I won't be happy recomending the
pill of any kind until someone our there has done studies twenty years
after a good number of women do this for a lengthy time breastfeeding ( not
just three months while on the piill and then quit).

>Anyone out there think it would help her milk supply at all to switch to
>the progestin only pill ?  She has three little ones (two were surprises from
>contraception failures); another baby at this time would be a real problem
>for her.
>My thought was to go off all orals until her supply reestablishes
>and then try the progestin only pill.  Anyone got any bright ideas for
>this mom?

What about an IUD? I have two children the latest 11 months and nursing. I
have had an IUD between the two and now again and have had no porblems at
all with them. Not getting a period because you are nursing really does
away with most of the common nuisance side effects of heavy periods and
cramps. If you are in a stable relationship there is no increase in
infections or PID which they had thought was the case in the past.

Karen Cunningham M.D. C.C.F.P.
London Ontario Canada
Email : [log in to unmask]
(My husbands address)