From:
Terri Wolber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 17:09:33 -0400
Hi!  My name is Terri.  I have been supproting breastfeeding mothers
with an international breastfeeding support organization for 6.5 years.
I have three children, all of whom have varied combinations of seasonal
allergies, asthma, food allergies (including anaphylaxis), or eczema.
All three of my children were breastfed for a minimum of 15 months, and
the longest was three when he completely weaned.  I have personally
dealt with asthma during pregnancy, yeast, seasonal allergies, Raynauds
affecting my breasts, slow weight gain (for baby), receeding jaw issues
affecting latch on nad suck, and the list goes on! :)

In my personal experience,allergens take about as long to leave the
baby's system as they do an adult's system.  In a newborn baby, they may
take a bit longer.  Most food allergens clear a baby's system in three
to four weeks.  Egg and milk protein can take up to six weeks, our
Allergist has told me.

Eczema usually shows signs of improvement when the offending food has
been eliminated for a minimum of two weeks.  Eczema may not be food
allergy related, though.  My two boys have eczema, as do I, and we have
no food allergies  (We've all been skin and RAST tested).  People who
have asthma also have a tendency toward having eczema.

Terri Wolber
Fairport, NY