Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 07:45:35 EDT
Heidi notes,

<< Now get this, the *first* thing mentioned about this baby giraffe is,
 " . . . and he is nursing fine." Imagine if every human baby in the
 world received as much attention as this giraffe did for doing something
 so normal and so important to survival--breastfeeding!

 I wish people paid as much attention to breastfed babies and worried if
 they weren't "nursing well." >>

Well, just to let you know they held a full press conference in  Chicago last
night -- the best attended one all day (slow news day in Chicago???) because
our yet unnamed baby Beluga finally started nursing (day 5!!!).  He couldn't
figure out how to dive, get into the mom's slip stream, latch on and start
nursing and swim all at the same time.  They were feeding him formula (gag)
and giving him antibiotics from the milk of a mommy whale whose baby died
last year.

Bob wanted me to go to the Shedd Aquarium on Monday and offer my services.
Medela?  You didn't offer a pump?  How 'bout you, Hollister???  Where were
you when you were needed?  BABY formula for a WHALE?  Oh, I bet THAT was
healthy.

Anyway this has been BIG news -- everyone has been worried about it.  My take
was the same as Heidi's....so worried about a whale who won't nurse -- but it
doesn't matter if a baby won't nurse.

Of course, it was a boy.  Figures.

Jan Barger -- off in a few minutes to "cool" Scottsdale -- cool, that is,
compared to beastly hot and humid Chicago....