From:
Theresa Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 21:41:05 -0700
Or maybe it could be better stated that formula feeding lowers the IQ as Diane W has so wonderfully pointed out, using human milk as the norm.

Just pondering over emails,
Theresa Johnson RNC BSN IBCLC
Orlando Florida USA

laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Ryan,
In regard to infant/child IQ and breastfeeding, I guess the jury is still
out. What I read seems to indicate that it is quite possible that
breastfeeding does increase IQ. The problem is there are so many confounding
factors to tease out that it is hard to tell if the breastfeeding or
breastmilk alone makes the difference. I do tell moms that some studies have
shown that bf may even improve IQ. I do not state it as a fact. But I do use
it sometimes in my bf promotion. I hope this is helpful.

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
New Orleans Louisiana, s.e. USA