From:
"Ben R. Hays" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 1996 20:06:24 -0700
Our lactation department has been targeted as a pilot program for =
initiating care/case management.  We'll begin with care management.  I =
am learning this is a nation wide attempt to cut-cost, improve outcome =
and obtain statistics.  We are in the beginning stages of implementing =
this and could use some help from those who already begun. My questions:

1.  What expected outcome did you use?  Cost savings?  Improved pt. =
outcome?  Another?
2.  What data should I obtain prior to implementing the clinical =
pathway?
3.  What data needs to be kept once implemented?

In summary, I am especially interested in what is being used to evaluate =
the effectiveness of hospital lactation programs, (ie. Duration of =
exclusive BF?.   Number of exclusive BF babies?  Frequency of =
readmission to the hospital?
Thanks!
Karen Hays, R.N.