From:
Randee Bates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Nov 1998 11:10:00 -0500
Royce, I work in a small community hospital in PA.  They do approximatly
1200 deliveries/yr.  After about 1hr. of bonding with the mother,
infants go to the NBN for vital signs, bath, glucose checks-only if SGA
or LGA and then return to mother.  Unless a family requests no
pacifiers, breastfeeding babies will be offered them by the nursing
staff.  Mothers may send their breastfed babies back to the nursery,
between feeds--meaning that if they nurse their baby and the baby wakes
just an hour later they get their baby back, no bottles are given,
unless parents insist or request.  If parents do request bottles I feel
many nurses probably do not tell them what they are getting into with
artificial feeding.  But a handful of us IBCLC's do.  Unfortunatly there
is much conflicting information out there in spite of staff
breastfeeding inservices.  This is quite frustrating.  Hope this helps.
Randee Bates RN, IBCLC in PA