From:
Susan Stockwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2002 21:52:30 +0000
When asked about scheduling I explain what varies a babies interval of
feeding:-
growth spurts and the need to feed more frequently to increase supply
increased feeding during spells of illness, fighting off an infection or as
we say being 'under the weather'
need for more frequent feeds when there is little distraction eg night when
baby gets old enough to be distracted by surroundings in daytime

I don't say that a loud high pitched noise which you are unable to stop
fulfills the legal definition of torture in this country following a case in
the 1970's. A baby on scheduled feeds is programmed by nature to make such a
noise whilst awaiting it's next feed. This is because I don't go in for
frightening people into putting breastfeeding informaiton into practise.
However you all working in lactation might be encouraged by remembering that
when you help a mother away from scheduled feeding you are releasing her
from what at law would amount to an illegal punishment.
Well done
Susan Stockwell
UK Poole