From:
Jodine Chase <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Nov 2010 08:19:07 -0700
This news item is one the front page of one of our major daily newspapers in Toronto, Canada. (Although it's not apparent from looking at the URL - I can send an image of the front page to anyone who is interested.)

I would urge all of you who are following this issue to read the article carefully. It includes a discussion about the delay in creating official milk banks and highlights the social media milk sharing movement, Eats on Feets.

Those of us who have been around for a while will be interested to see the article reports the very recent change in policy on the part on the Canadian Pediatrics Society, an organization whose policy paper on milk banking in Canada resulted in the closure of  all but our Vancouver milk bank, and that one has been under significant pressure ever since. The Society called for a system of milk banks across the country earlier this month (with days of the Eats on Feets Global initiative, btw.)

You will also note the next milk bank likely to open in Canada is according to the Toronto Milk Bank Initiative, "still several years from reality," as doctors look at ways to pasteurize human breast milk without losing nutrients." This delay has prompted Jack Newman's clinic to consider applying for a grant to open their own milk bank.

And, finally, the article does include comment per what Karleen Gribble anticipated a few days ago, concern expressed by the Canadian Paediatric Society about informal sharing of milk due to "health risks such as transmission of infectious diseases or bacteria."

Donor breast milk is 'greatest gift' for sick babies
Toronto Star, Nov 25, 2010

-- Jodine Chase