From:
Paul deDianous <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 23:10:59 -0700
Hello everyone!
I will start with an intro. since its been
about 2 yrs. since I've written.  I am a Pediatric
Nurse Practitioner and CLE.  I work for an Allergist/Immunologist (who
is NOT pro-breastfeeding and made fun of me when I informed her I would
not need her free samples of formula because I would only
be breastfeeding my babies; none of her children were breastfed).
Eventhough I am not currently practicing
as a CLE, I take full advantage of the fact that I work in an Allergy
Clinic.  I always include lots of info. on breastfeeding whenever I
teach potential parents (especially the ones who are expecting) about
prevention of allergies.  On a more personal note, I
am married to a computer programmer (who is extremely
supportive of my mission to get everyone to breastfeed).  We have been
blessed with 3 yr. old identical twin boys and 10 month old identical
twin girls (and no, we do not plan on trying to see if it would happen
a third time).

When teaching about the benefits of breastmilk, we always say
"Breastfeeding helps prevent asthma, diabetes, etc."  What if I wanted
to focus more on the dangers of formula, and instead say "Formula can
potentially cause (or promote the incidence of) asthma, diabetes, etc"?
 Would this be inaccurate?

TIA!

Arleta de Dianous, MSN,RN,CPNP,CLE
Normal, IL