From:
Penny Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 04:57:13 -0500
Dear Ladies,

I agree with the advice of not encouraging this mother to decrease her supply just yet.  I am not sure how far post-partum she is, but I would hope for her supply to be as great as she is able during the more fragile supply-on-demand stage.  Once she has reached that point of primarily needing to prevent significant engorgement to maintain her supply, she can play with her pumping schedule a bit more freely.  The cushion may be very necessary later and any extra milk can be donated or turned into wonderful soap.

As for her pain, I'll have to admit, I was surprised by the same experience.  Ten years ago, when my oldest was a NICU baby, I had terrible pain with the hospital-grade pump and just couldn't bear it.  I ended up drying up completely, while trying to pump with an inferior pump purchased at the local department store.  My son was born a few years later.  When I returned to work full-time, five weeks later, I had no trouble pumping full-time.  He nursed for almost five years.  Therefore, I didn't expect any trouble this time.

I feel as if I am in a new world being completely pump dependent this time around.  My nipples were blistered in spite of every trick I could think of.  The hospital grade pump once again was near torture, but my devotion to breastfeeding was stronger this time.  I endured.  I suppose I just needed that initial baby time before my nipples were ready for the pump - any pump.

I have also noticed that I have a harder time remembering to pump or I suppose it is easier to ignore the full sensation when I am at home busying myself with chores (now that I can do them).  On the go, I make an effort to watch the clock and plan ahead.  Initially, when you are entirely focused on your baby and your milk, it is easier to be mindful of the need to pump.  Once life takes over, it takes much more effort.  I am grateful now that I had encouraged/allowed such an enormous supply.

During this experience, I have also suffered with an enormous plugged duct.  In spite of all the typical tricks, I found nothing to relieve it until I tried new positions, as one would with a baby.  I lied on my side to pump and one particular side did the trick perfectly.  Interesting.  I wonder if while holding the bottles, I relaxed and put too much pressure on certain parts of my breast unknowingly, compressing ducts with the flange.  It also becomes quite exhausting getting up and actually having to stay awake (as opposed to co-sleeping) to pump in the night.  I did discover that I can lay on the edge of the bed and hang the bottles off the edge of the bed while I pump.  I have fallen asleep doing this quite comfortably (although have also waken with a hickey on my areola).

My supply, with each of my children, has been significant - quite an understatement actually.  In the past once my body settled into nursing, it evened out.  Through my current situation, having no child to regulate my supply, I had hoped to donate to two families, maybe even three.  I don't perceive my abundant supply to be any more "work" then a typical supply would be.  It doesn't seem to take any longer to fill the bottles with each session as it would otherwise (more just squirts out faster).  It is a bit frustrating to have to switch bottles in the middle of each session though.

Personally, the greatest hassle has been having to hold those bottles with each pumping session and not having my hands free.  I need to try the bra that holds the flanges or maybe now that my supply is settled in, the Whisper Wear.  My only concern with the Whisper Wear is that I would again, have to change the bags half way through each session.

As I have spoke with other donors, it has been a matter of pride in comparing who pumps more milk per session or per day.  While my children were in the NICU, I remember this to be true as well.  I just needed someone to tell me it was okay (then I could boast about it).  The same issues with oversupply when pumping don't exist as they would if actually feeding at the breast.  Transitioning might be interesting, but again, I would prefer baby to regulate my supply then the pump or my schedule.

Speaking of...my pump calls.

Penny Lane RN, BA, IBCLC
Maternal & Child Health: Lactation Consulting
Believe - Birth & Breastfeeding Resources